Volunteers Needed Now!
VITA Volunteer Self-Assessment
The following questions will help you determine if volunteering for United Way VITA is right for you.
- Do you want to be a volunteer Tax Preparer, Greeter/Screener or Spanish Interpreter? Locations throughout Sarasota and DeSoto Counties.
- Can you commit to attending all required trainings for your position sometime between November and January? FREE training is provided by IRS certified trainers. Tax preparers will need to complete at least eight hours of training and, depending on the filing program utilized, sometimes up to thirty-two hours. Greeters/Screeners and Interpreters will need to attend one - two hours of training.
- For tax preparers, are you comfortable using a computer and able to learn new software? Tax preparers use on-site computers to prepare returns electronically.
- Do you enjoy working one-on-one with a wide range of people? Our sites serve a diverse group of clients.
- Are you comfortable in a changing environment where you may be asked to take on different tasks as necessary? At our sites, every day is different.
- Can we count on you to work at least one shift a week (typically 4 hours) for the duration of tax season and/or to notify your coordinator if you're unable to do so? The families who visit the sites each year - as well as the site coordinators who run them - rely on volunteers showing up at the site consistently and giving their best.
If you answered yes to all of the above questions for the role you are interested in, then United Way VITA would be a good fit for you! We invite you to take the next step and fill out an application. Click on the volunteer button below to download a copy of the application and please make note of the submittal instructions on the bottom of the form.
What we're looking for:
- Basic computer proficiency needed
- Willingness to work with diverse populations
- Ability to be flexible while on site, accepting that some days will be busier then others and being willing to assist in other areas as directed by the Site Coordinator.
- Pride in performing tasks completely and accurately
- Ability to successfully complete IRS tax law and e-file training and certification program (Tax Preparers Only)
- Bilingual volunteers needed
All volunteers agree to follow required IRS policies and procedures as well as site-specific procedures related to maintaining client confidentiality, record-keeping and preparing returns within your scope of training.
For additional information please contact:
VITA Program Manager
United Way Suncoast
1445 2nd Street
Sarasota, FL 34236
Phone: 941-366-2686 ext. 316